Sunday, January 23, 2011

President Hinckley

This Thursday will mark the 3rd year that our dear prophet, Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley passed away. I will never forget where I was when I learned the news. Although I love our current prophet, Pres. Thomas S. Monson, with all my heart, I have a tender spot for Pres. Hinckley. He was my childhood prophet. The one I grew up knowing.


I listened to a Conversation with Elder & Sister Bednar today. Elder Bednar paid such a sweet little tribute to President Hinckley. The first occurred on Sept 12, 2001. There was a meeting that Elder Bednar was going to attend with Pres. Hinckley there and he was anxious to hear what our prophet would say about the events of 9/11. When Pres. Hinckley walked in he said, "Brethren, we live in troubling times. Let's get to work." I loved this. State the fact: The devil's influence is spreading and the war with sin is at large. Now: let's see what we're going to do about it.


The second thing was a comment that Pres. Hinckley had for the young adults. "Have faith in yourself. Have faith in the Lord. Have faith in the future." As the topic of faith was discussed a lot today at church, I realized that if I had those three things, then life will be good!

Have faith in myself...that I can do hard things. I can set and accomplish goals. Have faith in the Lord...that He will be there. He will guide me as I listen to Him. He will provide the way. Have faith in the future...that it will be bright. I don't know what is up ahead. But, I know that faith in myself and faith in the Lord will give me faith that the future will be a good thing.


One of my favorite photos of Pres. Hinckley. This was taken before he was prophet, but was a 3rd counselor to Pres. Kimball. This photo shows him alone, while the other three were very sick.

3 comments:

  1. I love Pres. Hinckley, and too have a soft spot in my heart for him because he was the prophet during my childhood. When you said it will be 3 years this Thursday I totally forgot!! But now that I think about it, I remember that I found out the same time my sister-in-law was giving birth to her first child...so it was a sort of bitter-sweet moment, as one life left this world and another was brought into it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so sweet. I love Pres Hinckley. Hearing that it has already been 3 years makes me feel really old, but thanks for writing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the reminder!! I remember that I was living with your family when he passed away, and kneeling for family prayer, when you accidentally said "Please bless President Hinckley," we all cried together. What a loss that was--and yet, as you said, I do truly love President Monson and what he has to offer. Isn't this church just so incredible? No matter what, we know that our leaders are called of God, and we can love each one for what they have to offer.
    Thank you for your testimony! Sure love you!

    ReplyDelete