Monday, June 21, 2010

15 years ago I saw Toy Story

Tonight, I saw Toy Story 3. (No spoilers here) Call me sentimental, but the way Disney/Pixar portrayed change was amazing. Yes, I did cry...more than once. Aren't we all surprised? But I also laughed. A lot. Of all the trilogies out there, this has to be my favorite. Now, I know that there are other great trilogies out there (Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, etc), but this one-by far-hits me the most. Here is why.

When I was 7 years old, my parents took my brothers and I to see Toy Story. I remember it so clearly because it was my bedtime and instead I got to go to the movies. It such a new way for me to watch movies. It was funny and happy. I could relate to it. I had toys. I loved my toys. I remember thinking how cool it would be if toys really did come to life after I was gone. I vowed to always treat my toys nicely. Toy Story was a classic that touched my life as a child.



When I was 11 years old, our family (with the exception of Carla) saw Toy Story 2. I felt like I could relate to this movie as well. Andy was growing up, but he wasn't too grown up for toys. I was almost in junior high and Young Women's. I liked my toys still, but I wasn't as connected to them as I used to be. This was one of the first times I realized that time changes things.



I am now 22 years old and I have finally been able to see Toy Story 3 with my whole family. As Andy leaves for college, the fate of his toys is unknown. However, instead of worrying about where these toys ended up, I was worried about how they (or even me) were going cope with the changes presented at the beginning of the film. By the end of the movie, I felt like the chapter of my childhood has now been officially closed. I stopped playing with toys long ago, but tonight it felt complete as I watched the final scenes of Toy Story 3. It was a bittersweet feeling leaving that theater.



Perhaps this post sounds childish. After all, I am the girl who loves Disney. Maybe it is my love for anything Disney that has me all wrapped up in this movie, but I know it goes deeper than that. It is a realization that life doesn't stand still. It keeps going. No matter what you do, it keeps going. And its good. I am sad to see Toy Story end because it traveled with me. I felt like it was a little bit like MY Story. But, my story isn't ending. It is sad to say goodbye to all the wonderful memories made, but it is exciting to see what other memories are going to be made soon.

I know it sounds way silly, but I am grateful for Woody & Buzz. I'm grateful for Toy Story.

3 comments:

  1. If there was a love button here, I would press it. I know, i am not even close to where you are Jonna, but I had the same feeling you did. Time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw it last night at the Drive-In and I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a knack for writing! This was a great post! I can't wait to see the new movie.

    ReplyDelete