Sense & Sensibility has been one of my all-time favorite movies. Everyone has one Jane Austen novel that is near to their heart. Mine is Sense & Sensibility. Although I have yet to finish the actual novel (I am currently reading it!), S&S has been a story I reflect on again and again. I still get chills when I see how cold the cottage is. I get furious when Willoughby walks away from Marianne. I get annoyed at Lucy every time I see her. I get a small tear when Colonel Brandon carries Marianne in from the rain. I laugh and feel so giddy when Elinor starts to cry hysterically at the end of the movie with Edward. It is timeless to me.
In these types of stories and movies we all secretly (or maybe just me) wish that our stories would work out just the same. Happily ever after. Yay! However, just as Pres. Uchtdorf had said, every fairy tale ending had its own share of trial and obstacles. The same happens in S&S. Elinor must endure the painful reminder that her "friend" is engaged to her beloved. Marianne felt the pain of being second best to money and had to watch her near engagement go to someone else who had that money. As I have had my own experiences, I have been able to identify with parts of the Dashwood girls' stories. The more I watch this movie, and now as I read this book, I feel for these girls more. I feel parts of their pain.
HOWEVER, by the end of the movie everything works out! Yay! I won't spoil this movie just in case any of you haven't read/seen it. But I will tell you that is all works out. After much patience, happiness comes to Elinor and Marianne finally feels TRUE love, not shallow love as before. I am not saying this is a blueprint for my life or whatever. I am just saying that everything will work out! Although things don't always go my way, I know that as I endure (as Pres. Uchtdorf said) I will be able to look back on my life and see that it was a happily ever after. Whether happily ever afters include marriage, family, education, testimony, career, mission, etc I know it will all be ok. Yay!
Today, this made my journey easier: Realizing that although sometimes I feel like Marianne Dashwood, I will find my Colonel Brandon (aka happily ever after!). Ok, I guess I gave a bit of it away. Sorry. You'll still love it anyway!
In case you are interested in Pres. Uchtdorf's talk about Happily Ever After, I added it to my new "Links" list. Enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment